Sunday 9 November 2014

Revocation "Deathless" (2014)


Revocation are a four piece (once three) Thrash Metal band from Boston USA. I had the pleasure of being one of their first international listeners. After building a small presence in the local Boston scene, Revocation unleashed their debut full length "Empire Of The Obscene" onto the Blogspots which I caught immediately. The album cover grabbed my attention, the name "Revocation" and its logo gave me a vibe, that this was a special Metal band, one that would stand apart from others. You can't judge a book by its cover, but I was right, I fell in love with this band immediately, disillusioned by the trending Deathcore scene they were everything I wanted to hear at the time, I've since supported them by attending shows, buying merch and CDs etc. I've watched them grow slowly, almost too slow, each album earning critical acclaim, yet not pushing them into the Metal Elite where they belong.

David Davidson's style is unique and refreshing. As the main songwriter, lead guitar and vocal presence he is the force behind this band. His style is energetic, passionate and creative, giving Revocation an edge to come up with new ideas within the confines of a well explored Metal genre. On their first three albums there was a constant onslaught of creativity that felt fresh and exciting. Riff after riff would deliver new ideas and techniques that stood this band apart. On their self titled and more so "Deathless" Revocation have become more defined by their previous efforts and sound like a well matured band thats sticking to their guns. This is fine, but for me it took the edge of the album, too much familiarity left me wanting more from a band I always expect to surprise me, however what I found was a very enjoyable record.

For a modern and cleanly produced album "Deathless" sounds gorgeous. The record has character and the guitar tones are powerful, yet soft and textured. The drums are captured and mixed well considering the frenetic nature of Phil's technical blasting, which on this record did feel a little tame and less spontaneous than previous records. Behind the sound is substance, the songwriting is class, more focused on the overall themes and progression than the more sporadic style of past, giving this album a solid feel with songs that are structured and mature. The overall theme is a little darker and slower with Revocation trading in many of the faster chaotic moments for progression and brooding moods. Its another great chapter in Revocation's discography, and an interesting one. I'm not sure if they moved one step closer, or away from achieving their Magnum Opus, a peak in their potential that hasn't been reached yet.

Favorite Tracks: A Debt Owed To The Grave, Madness Opus, Scorched Earth Policy, Witch Trails.
Rating: 5/10